ADVERTISEMENT

SMU recruiting: Friday-morning nuggets

Damon Sayles

Gold Member
Sep 8, 2019
SMU will be heading to Florida for the Boca Raton Bowl next week, but this weekend, the Mustangs are getting ready for a big 11th-hour official visit weekend.
Allen three-star athlete Raylen Sharpe and Norman, Oklahoma, three-star offensive lineman Ben Sparks already have confirmed they will take their official visits this weekend. Sparks has been committed since June 11, Sparks since June 25.
SMU also is looking to score a flip in the final weeks before signing day. Keep an eye on Blinn College wide receiver Danny Gray, a TCU commit who, per a source, is expected to take an official visit to the Hilltop.
Gray is coming off a sophomore season where he had 54 catches for 877 yards and eight touchdowns in nine games. SMU is hoping to get Gray closer to home, as he played his high school ball in Dallas at Madison High School. Gray will have three years to play two seasons.

I mentioned a couple of days ago in the forum that I was pretty confident in Tyler Junior
College defensive end DeVere Levelston ultimately choosing SMU. As we inch closer to signing day, I'll be surprised if he doesn't choose the Mustangs.
The staff has really sold him on playing time, being an immediate impact player, and playing in front of a home audience, as he is from DeSoto. It also helps that he's had Tyler teammate and offensive lineman commit Demetri Jordan in his ear about joining the team.
The first day for mid-year JUCO players to sign is Wednesday, but I've got a feeling we may hear something from Levelston sooner than that. Stay tuned.

On the JUCO scene, 35 tackles (seven for loss), two pass breakups, a sack and a force fumble statistically should be enough to garner a few offers -- whether Power 5, Group 5 or FCS. Butler County (Kansas) Community College linebacker Maurice Farr, however, remains a recruiting sleeper of sorts. Not many teams know about him, but SMU believes he has what it takes to be a diamond in the rough.
Farr told The HillTopics that he still has interest in SMU. At 6-0 and 205 pounds, Farr could be a player to fill in for Pat Nelson as a linebacker/safety hybrid.
Whether or not Farr becomes a last-minute pledge still remains to be seen, but SMU believes he can play the game at the next level. Farr has three years to play two seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News