ADVERTISEMENT

The Things That I Like About SMU In This Tournament...

advarkas

Gold Member
(1) Complete Team- some teams are purely defensive teams and some teams are three point shooting teams and some teams can't make free throws. The MOST IMPRESSIVE thing about this SMU team going into the NCAA Tournament is that we are a COMPLETE TEAM. We shoot free throws well, we have a high scoring offense predicated on moving the basketball around and scoring inside, and we have players who pass well and look for each other. Yes, there are times when we go into a "dry spell", but when I see this team play I see a team which is going to give itself good shots based off of good player and ball movement, precision passing, and quality finishing inside. We don't "live and die" by the three point shot, or collectively struggle from the free throw line. I like how we can score in a variety of ways, and score at a high percentage rate.

(2) Momentum- I think that momentum HAS to count for something, especially when a team like us has been playing the we have. We close out Tulsa to win the AAC Regular Season Championship, we dominate UCONN in the AAC Finals for most of the game to win the AAC Tournament, and now we have earned a respectable #6 seed, are a top-20 ranked team, and a team which has a lot of confidence going against UCLA on Thursday.

(3) Guard Play- Surely I'm not stating anything ground breaking, but clearly Nic Moore has to be the AAC Player of the Year in the NCAA Tournament if we are to get past a quality team like Iowa State in the Round of 32 or even a Gonzaga type team later on in the Bracket. Nic will have to be steady, he will have to be leader we have seen, and he absolutely has the capability of carrying this offense when needed. I expect a great game from him on Thursday.

(4) Coaching- Larry Brown is EXACTLY the type of coach we need for this NCAA Tournament. He has been there, done that, and he will have a much needed calming effect on this team. These players have never been to the NCAA Tournament, and although the team has a lot of post-season experience from the NIT Tournament from last year's snub, this is will be a different animal. Having Larry Brown and his experience and situational coaching will be such a significant asset for this team.

(5) X Factor- has to be Kennedy coming off of the Bench, no...? The energy and quality inside scoring which he brings off of the Bench will be an X Factor for this team. He adds a level of presence to the offense when he is going to work on the inside, and I think he will be our most consistent player throughout the Tournament. Maybe Cunningham could be that "X Factor" player too, but I see Kennedy being a major problem for UCLA.

Final Score Prediction: SMU 66 - UCLA 55.

Just my honest opinion...

Go Mustangs...!!!
This post was edited on 3/15 10:13 PM by advarkas

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News